Saturday, July 5, 2014

Mango Lime and Raspberry Agave Chia Drinks (Ch-Ch-Ch-CHIA!!)


I was walking through my local co-op, search for my regular organic and healthy food items for the week, when I came across this new product  next to the organic salad mixes:


I love me some chia seeds. I eat this nutritious powerhouse almost daily. They are dark little seeds that become gelatinous when exposed to fluid. Aztecs were rumored to chow down on this before going into battle, as it was believed to provide energy in strength. If it's good enough for the Aztecs, I figure, it's good enough for Red! As well, it comes from a flowering plant in the mint family, and is harvested in Guatemala and Mexico. Oh, and they were once used for this purpose:


CH-CH-CH - Chia!!


They are packed with Omega-3 fatty acid, fiber, manganese, calcium, protein, antioxidants, amongst other amazing things! The Ceveland Clinic even boasts that in some studies, Chia Seeds are found to lower cholesterol and C-Reactive Protein in some people with Type II Diabetes and may lower cholesterol. Read more about that here

... but for these wee bottles it seems fairly pricey. I mean, $4.29?! Then again, it is organic. I had a quick skim of the ingredients to see what magic potion is in these elixirs to make them so magical:



Nothing too extravagant. 
Rather than purchasing these fancy drinks, I decided to experiment at home and make my own versions - for much cheaper - and without "natural flavours". It's also fully gluten-free and vegan!

I made two versions: Mango Lime Chia and Raspberry Agave Chia.




The recipes were quite simple, with ingredients I already had at home (and are easily available in YK at this time of year!)

Raspberry Agave Chia Drink
  • 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) raspberries
  • 2 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds

Mango Lime Chia Drink

  • 1/2 fresh mango
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
The Recipe

The recipe is fairly similar for both, easy, and takes very little time. Perfect for hot summer days when you want a refreshing, nutritious drink. Or, I imagine it can be easily prepared the night before and be enjoyed while hiking, fishing, or out cycling!

First step, put the chia seeds and 2 cups of water in a glass jar. Set aside and let the chia thicken:



Above is what it looks like after 20 minutes.

While the chia is thickening, mix the fruits/berries with one cup of water until smooth:



The mango with water, and the raspberry with water.

Then, add the fruit-water mixtures and remaining ingredients into the glass jars, mix, then either drink or put in the fridge to enjoy cold!



I left them in the fridge to cool, then enjoyed on my balcony while enjoying the sunshine.



I recommend classing it up with some wine glasses. I may have to invite some of my friends over sometime soon to enjoy these - they are too cute and delicious to hog all to myself!

I can't pick a favorite between the two. The raspberry reminds me of a margarita and the mango is like a refreshing summer cocktail - without the alcohol, and full of nutrients!


There you have it - chia drinks that are really inexpensive, delicious, and simple to make!

I intend on making other versions of this very soon - I'll be sure to post if they are as successful and delicious as these ones!

I'm off to enjoy a beautiful summer evening with friends. Tell me, what is your favorite "healthy" drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment