Thursday, June 26, 2014

Air North Food Review + Ottawa



I recently went on an incredible trip to the nation's capital... Ottawa!




I was there for a conference regarding nutrition and supplement use from the perspective of Orthomolecular Medicine. It was incredible, fascinating, life-changing. My whole perspective on what to eat, research, and supplements to take - it's going to improve my own personal life and my practice for the better! I am excited to learn more!

Speaking of which... being the dietary mess that I am, I was prepared to make myself a meal and snacks for the long flight to Ottawa. Then I saw this on Facebook:




Whaaaat?!?

I mean, have you ever seen such delicious and FRESH looking airline food? ME NEITHER!

So, I had to investigate...




Humor and customer service. I like this.

Private message sent, with details of my egg/dairy/gluten issues... and reply:



I was looking forward to what they would put together for my flight. I had my doubts, with previous experiences of less than... delectable ... airline fare. I packed some Vega bars and protein powder in preparation for less than delicious food.

But, I was wrong. Pleasantly wrong.



Juicy grapes.
Robust and delicious berries.
Chopped salad with balsamic vinaigrette. 
Chicken curry with veggies and rice.

Sweet Buddah, it was delicious. Best airline food EVER.


Needless to say...




I pretty much inhaled it. So good.


- Interlude: Photo Montage of Ottawa -


Parliament Hill from Gatineau, Quebec
Parliament Hill
Canadian Museum of Civilization
A replica of the Wildcat Cafe. If you're from YK - you'd also be amused!
NWT!!
Delicious, fresh fruit in the Byward Market.
Tour of Parliament Hill ... who's that dapper fella in yellow?
Geeking out at the nature museum.
Haunted ghost tour.... OoooOOOooooo!


- end interlude -


On the flight back home, another special meal was waiting for me.



Unwrapped:



The fruit salad was ok, mostly because it had pineapple, which I really dislike (it alters the flavor of EVERYTHING). Good salad with organic balsamic vinaigrette. The rice was very sticky, reminiscent of rice I had in South East Asia. I really liked the chickpea meal... I wish there was more of that and less rice. I was full, so I didn't try the bun.

I would have to say the first in-flight meal was significantly more impressive, but the second was still much better than other meals I've had with other airlines.

I will defiantly be taking Air North with future flights to Ottawa or other Northern destinations. Not only was the food delicious, but I was impressed with the customer service. I was able to bring my brand-new bike back home for only $28!

And, as much fun as it was to see my nation's capital, I couldn't wait to go home.

*Love* the North.

No comments:

Post a Comment